New Year Retreat 2018 / 2019
December 28, 2018 - January 1, 2019
New Year Retreat Friday 28th December 2018 to Tuesday 1st Jan 2019
This retreat will be led by members of the Sunyata Lay sangha and will follow our normal retreat guidelines / schedule with morning and evening chanting, periods of silence, walking and some guided meditation, talks / reflections and some light (optional) yoga.
Start and End Times:
Registration for this retreat will be from 4pm on Friday 28th December with soup served at 6.15. The retreat will begin at 7.15pm with a short orientation talk and will end at lunchtime on Tuesday the 1st Jan. It is necessary to attend all of the retreat, so please do not book unless you can do so.
Coming on Retreat
To find out more about coming on retreat please see here: http://www.sunyatacentre.org/coming-on-retreat-at-sunyata/
Cost of Retreat
This retreat is offered on a donation (dana) basis. At the end of the retreat there will be a chance to give an anonymous donation towards the centre.
The teachings are freely offered.
We are asked sometimes for guidance regarding donations towards the centre and we calculate that €45 per person per day meets the ‘break even’ cost for running all of our retreats throughout the year. If one wishes to give more than the guided amount, then that would be very welcome. All donations are anonymous.
To book a place please e-mail [email protected]
The Eight Precepts:
The retreat will be held on the eight precepts below. Please note number 8 which means that there will be no evening meal after the opening evening.
The Eight Precepts:
- Harmlessness: not intentionally taking the life of any living creature.
- Trustworthiness: not taking anything that is not given.
- Celibacy : refraining from any sexual activity.
- Right Speech: retreatants are asked to maintain ‘noble silence’, that is not engaging in any talk with each other, or anyone else, unless it is really necessary.
- Sobriety : not taking any intoxicating drinks or drugs.
- Restraint : not wearing make-up, perfume or strongly-scented deodorant, jewellery or immodest clothing; not playing radios, music tapes or musical instruments.
- Alertness: to refrain from overindulgence in sleep.
- Refrain from eating after main meal