- This event has passed.
New Year Retreat 2019/2020
December 28, 2019 - January 1, 2020
Our annual New Year retreat will be led by members of the Sunyata lay sangha and will follow our normal retreat guidelines and schedule, with morning and evening chanting, periods of silence, walking, and some guided meditation, talks / reflections as well as optional yoga.
Start and End Times:
Registration for this retreat will be from 4pm on Saturday 28th December with soup served at 6.15. The retreat will begin at 7.15pm with a short orientation talk and will end at lunchtime on Wednesday the 1st January. It is necessary to attend all of the retreat, so please do not book unless you can do so.
Coming on Retreat
To find out more about coming on retreat please see here: http://www.sunyatacentre.org/coming-on-retreat-at-sunyata/
Cost of Retreat
This retreat is offered on a donation (dana) basis. At the end of the retreat there will be a chance to give an anonymous donation towards the centre.
The teachings are freely offered.
We are asked sometimes for guidance regarding donations towards the centre and we calculate that €45 per person per day meets the ‘break even’ cost for running all of our retreats throughout the year. If one wishes to give more than the guided amount, then that would be very welcome. All donations are anonymous.
To book a place please e-mail [email protected]
The Eight Precepts:
The retreat will be held on the eight precepts below. Please note number 8 which means that there will be no evening meal after the opening evening.
The Eight Precepts:
- Harmlessness: not intentionally taking the life of any living creature.
- Trustworthiness: not taking anything that is not given.
- Celibacy : refraining from any sexual activity.
- Right Speech: retreatants are asked to maintain ‘noble silence’, that is not engaging in any talk with each other, or anyone else, unless it is really necessary.
- Sobriety : not taking any intoxicating drinks or drugs.
- Restraint : not wearing make-up, perfume or strongly-scented deodorant, jewellery or immodest clothing; not playing radios, music tapes or musical instruments.
- Alertness: to refrain from overindulgence in sleep.
- Refrain from eating after main meal