Weekend Retreat with Resident Monks
August 16 @ 4:00 pm - August 18 @ 3:00 pm
This meditation retreat will be taught by several of the monks who are spending the vassa, or rains retreat, at Sunyata. The schedule of the retreat will be integrated into the monastic routine, and as such offers a unique opportunity to sample life in an active Buddhist monastery.
Start and End Times:
Registration for this retreat will be from 4pm on Friday, August 16th. Soup will be served at 6.30pm and the retreat will begin at 7pm with a short orientation talk.
The retreat will end at approximately 3pm on Sunday the 18th. It is necessary to attend all of the retreat.
To find out more about coming on retreat please see here: http://www.sunyatacentre.org/coming-on-retreat-at-sunyata/
Cost of Retreat
This retreat is offered on a donation (dana) basis. At the end of the retreat there will be a chance to give an anonymous donation towards the centre.
The teachings are freely offered.
To book a place please e-mail [email protected]
The Eight Precepts:
The retreat will be held on the eight precepts below. Please note number 8 which means that there will be no evening meal after the opening evening.
- Harmlessness: not intentionally taking the life of any living creature.
- Trustworthiness: not taking anything that is not given.
- Chastity : refraining from any sexual activity.
- Right Speech: retreatants are asked to maintain ‘noble silence’, that is not engaging in any talk with each other, or anyone else, unless it is really necessary.
- Sobriety : not taking any intoxicating drinks or drugs.
- Restraint : not wearing make-up, perfume or strongly-scented deodorant, jewellery or immodest clothing; not playing radios, music tapes or musical instruments.
- Alertness: to refrain from overindulgence in sleep.
- Renunciation: not eating after the main meal